Dr. Andrew Mellin is a VP and Chief Medical Information Officer at Surescripts (@Surescripts). He has over 20 years of experience in health information technology, patient quality and safety, consumer health and EHR implementation and adoption. He is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and worked as a hospitalist in St. Paul, MN for 15 years. Surescripts has a large footprint in health information technology. In 2018, 85% of all prescriptions were sent electronically using the Surescripts network and gives providers access to eligibility and formulary information for over 250 million patients. I talked to Dr. Mellin recently on The Tate Chronicles where we took on a number of current topics and issues.
Episode NOW on Demand
Hear Jim and Dr. Mellin discuss these topics.
- Examples of how Surescripts is increasing safety, reducing costs, and improving quality.
- COVID has changed many aspects about how care is delivered in the US. Surescripts played a role in some of these changes and what will be necessary to support the massive vaccination programs for COVID and for the upcoming flu season.
- How the pandemic has led to increased scope of practice for pharmacists.
- There are so many rapid changes in the way patients are treated today—new technologies, new drugs, new care models. How Surescripts is innovating to support these changes.
- New technologies providers can use to reduce their administrative burdens—those things that can lead to burnout and frustrations by the providers and their office staff.
- And 2021 predictions.
About the Show – From border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Tune in to hear your correspondent Jim Tate on The Tate Chronicles. Join him as he cuts through the fog and static that exists at the leading edge of healthcare technology. Come with him as he explores emerging technologies that hold potential to bring beneficial disruptions to healthcare. Show broadcasts at 3:30am, 11:30am, and 7:30pm ET every weekday on HealthcreNOWradio.com.