The numbers and facts you are about to see are all true…
As of 4/30/2015
As of April 2015, more than 456,000 health care providers received payment for participating in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. In May 2013, CMS announced that more than half of all eligible health care providers had been paid under the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. In August of 2014, HHS reported more physicians and hospitals are using EHRs than before. And in December of 2014, an ONC data brief released stated financial incentives and ability to exchange clinical information found to be top reasons for EHR adoption.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the most recent numbers for the EHR Incentive programs. Here are some Program-to-date highlights from this latest CMS report – April.
- Active registrations of those completed totaled 538,366 breaking down with 353,614 Medicare EPs, 179,939 Medicaid EPs, and 4,813 hospitals.
- 50 States and 5 territories have open Medicaid registration. For links to states’ Medicaid EHR Incentive Program websites, see your State EHR Incentive Program Milestones and Web Resources guide.
- A total of 456,294 unique providers have been paid with breakdown of 295,941 Medicare EPs, 141,910 Medicaid EPs, 4,808 eligible hospitals, and 13,635 Medicare Advantage Organizations for EPs.
- 90,788 EPs have received a HPSA bonus payment for program years 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- 3,701 hospitals have received payments under both Medicare and Medicaid (of those, 833 were CAHs).
- A total of $30,570,521,910 has been paid out in the program to date.
- Medicare EPs have been paid $7,999,142,514 with the majority of those, Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy receiving $7,212,267,672.
- Medicaid EPs have been paid $3,739,985,712 with the majority of those, Physicians receiving $2,598,954,521.
- Eligible hospitals have been paid $18,424,639,977 with Medicare only $701,539,163 Medicaid only $403,369,820, and Medicare/Medicaid $17,319,730,995.
- Medicare Advantage Organizations For Eligible Professionals have been paid $406,753,707.
- Medicaid EHR Incentive payments began in January 2011 and Medicare EHR Incentive payments began in May 2011.
Visit the Data and Program Reports page on the CMS web site for the most up to date numbers on the EHR Incentive programs. For charting and analysis of this information, check out the Meaningful Use dataset on the HealthIT.gov Dashboard.