Highlighting HIMSS 2012 in Las Vegas
The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, or what we all know as HIMSS, held their first Convention in Baltimore in 1962. Vendors first participated with exhibits on table tops at the 1983 Convention in Atlanta. What was the buzz back then? Well Lotus 123 spreadsheets of course. Twenty seven years later and back in Atlanta, 934 vendors exhibited with more than table tops to nearly 28,000 attendees. The buzz? No question about it, meaningful use and the HITECH Act.
This year, registration spokespeople are reporting they are expecting even more attendees than last year’s Orlando show of 31,255. So what will the buzz be at HIMSS 2012 in Las Vegas? Among other things there will be no escaping these words; connectivity, interoperability, health information exchange, and stage 2 meaningful use.
I am going to HIMSS this year with a press pass and I have literally received hundreds of press releases, invitations to interview, previews new products, attend press briefings, eat breakfast, brunch, lunch, have cocktails, or attend parties. Here is just a sampling of what is going on next week at HIMSS.
- Get updates and information on HIMSS mobile health project that was launched last fall, mHIMSS. Check out this session exploring how “Health eVillages” brings mobile medical technology to challenging rural clinical environments around the world, helping clinicians deliver safer, more effective healthcare.
- Will EHR adoption mean anything if we don’t get Consumer adoption? Check out Regina Holiday, DC-based Patient Rights Arts Advocate, keynote speaker on Thursday, Inspiring Patient Engagement and the Power of Health IT.
- HIMSS’ Summit for Healthcare Information and Financial Technology is THE event for financial officers who want to significantly improve reimbursement and optimize business processes to save money and ultimately improve patient care.
- HIT X. O Beyond the Edge. See the newest healthcare technologies in interactive exhibits and engaging sessions. Register here space is limited.
- Jeopardy fans don’t miss this one; Calling Dr Watson to Ward 8 Stat on Wednesday at 9:45am. Explore the application of IBM’s Watson Deep Question and Answer (DeepQA) technology in healthcare with one of our favorites, Dr. Nick van Terheyden, CMIO at Nuance Communications.
- Learn to navigate a new healthcare ecosystem at the eCollaboration Forum, all day Thursday. Join our latest MU Live! guests Steve Adams and Vince Kuratis to discover how collaborative health technologies offer a flexible solution that can connect disparate provider and payer platforms and facilitate interoperable EHRs. Space is limited, register here.
- And what’s Las Vegas without a little craps action? Voalté is hosting “Chips for Charity” and giving five executives $1,000 each for a chance to play Craps and win big for their foundation.
See you in Vegas!