The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) (@CMSGov) would like to remind clinicians of important upcoming Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) dates and deadlines in 2022:
- MIPS eligibility for the 2022 performance year will be updated based on the June 30 Alternative Payment Model (APM) snapshot data.
- Note: Qualifying APM Participant (QP) determinations and MIPS APM participation information will be available on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
- 2023 virtual group election period opens, allowing solo practitioners and groups interested in participating in MIPS through this option an opportunity to submit, revise, or retract an election for the 2023 performance period.
- Note: Log in to your Quality Payment Program (QPP) account to begin the election process.
- Last day to begin data collection for a continuous 90-day performance period for the improvement activities and Promoting Interoperability performance categories in the 2022 performance period. If you haven’t started your performance period for these categories, you must do so by no later than October 3.
- Note: Most, but not all, improvement activities have a continuous 90-day performance period, but several improvement activities require completion of modules where there’s a year-long or alternate performance period. The performance period is 90 days unless otherwise stated in the activity description.
- Final day to request a MIPS targeted review for your 2021 performance year feedback, including your MIPS final score and payment adjustment factor(s). Only submit a targeted review request if you believe there’s an error in your MIPS performance feedback.
- Note: CMS will only consider targeted reviews submitted by 8 p.m. ET.
- MIPS eligibility for the 2022 performance year will be finalized after the release of the August 31 APM snapshot data.
- QP determinations and MIPS APM participation information will be available on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
- Initial eligibility to participate in MIPS for the 2023 performance year will be released on the QPP Participation Status Tool.
- Last day of the 2022 performance year, after which clinicians will no longer be able to collect data for the year.
- QPP Exception Application window closes at 8 p.m. ET for MIPS eligible clinicians participating in traditional MIPS or the APM Performance Pathway (APP) who want to submit a MIPS Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances exception application or MIPS Promoting Interoperability Performance Category Hardship exception application for the 2022 performance year.
- 2023 performance year virtual group election period closes at 11:59 p.m. ET, after which prospective applicants will no longer be able to submit, revise, or retract their elections.
- IMPORTANT: If there are any changes to the makeup of the virtual group (i.e., if clinicians (identified by their National Provider Identifier (NPI)) have left or joined a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) within the virtual group during the performance year), the virtual group’s official representative must contact the Quality Payment Program regarding these changes by this date.
- CMS Web Interface sunsets as a collection and submission type for non-Shared Savings Program ACOs, registered groups, virtual groups, and APM Entities reporting traditional MIPS.
- Note: the CMS Web Interface will continue to be an option for Shared Savings Program ACOs reporting via the APP through the 2024 performance year.