ONC Seeking Health Scientist
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) is located in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Secretary. ONC is the principal Federal entity charged with the development of a nationwide interoperable health information infrastructure to ensure that public and private sector programs and initiatives related to the exchange of health information are complimentary efforts executed in a coordinated manner.
Through the Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) Mobility Program, ONC is seeking a Health Scientist specializing in informatics to work in the ONC Immediate Office, Chief Scientist Division (CSD). The ONC CSD is responsible for developing and evaluating ONC’s overall scientific efforts and activities and, as necessary, develops, establishes, or recommends scientific policy to the National Coordinator. This position reports to the Chief Scientist. This individual will apply a comprehensive knowledge of health informatics, science, related fields, and relevant programs to the performance of his/her work.
The IPA Mobility Program provides for the temporary assignment of personnel between the federal, state and local governments, colleges and universities, Indian tribal governments, federally funded research and development centers, and other eligible organizations. The goal is to facilitate the movement of employees for short periods of time that serves a sound public purpose. Mobility assignments may be used to achieve objectives such as:
- Strengthening the management capabilities of federal agencies, state, local and Indian tribal governments, and other eligible organizations;
- Assisting the transfer and use of new technologies and approaches to solving governmental problems;
- Facilitating an effective means of involving state and local officials in developing and implementing federal policies and programs; and
- Providing program and developmental experience, which will enhance the assignee’s performance in his or her regular job.
Terms of Employment:
- Length of opportunity: The initial IPA assignment may be approved for up to 2 years with extensions for an additional 2 years, not to exceed 4 continuous years
- Work Schedule: Full-Time
- Salary: Based upon current salary not to exceed $164,200 per annum
- Benefits: Not eligible for federal benefits
- Supervisory: No direct line supervision required
- Location: Washington, DC