HHS Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell named eight new members of the Health Information Technology Standards Committee (HITSC) and one new member to the Health Information Technology Policy Committee (HITPC). The HITSC is charged with recommending standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria for the electronic exchange and use of health information. The HITPC is charged with recommending policies for the development and adoption of a nationwide health information technology (health IT) infrastructure, including standards for the exchange and use of health information.
The two federal advisory committees were created through the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). The committees provide the opportunity for both stakeholders and the public to provide direct input to HHS regarding the implementation and use of health IT. Both committees are supported by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC).
Three members of the HITPC are appointed by the HHS Secretary, four members are appointed by Congress, 13 members are appointed by the Comptroller General of the United States and other federal members are appointed by the President. Members of the HITSC are appointed by the HHS Secretary, with input from the National Coordinator.
- Aaron Miri, Chief Information Officer & Vice President of Government Relations, Imprivata; Privacy and Security Representative
- Rajesh Dash, MD, Professor of Pathology, Duke University School of Medicine; Ancillary Healthcare Worker Representative
- Kay Eron, MBA, General Manager, Heath IT & Medical Devices, Intel; Purchaser/Employer Representative
- Peter Johnson, Retired Chief Information Officer; Technical Expertise Representative
- Kyle Meadors, President, Drummond Group; Technical Expertise, HIT Representative
- Terrence O’Malley, MD, Geriatrician, Massachusetts General Hospital; Technical Expertise, Long-Term Care Representative
- Andrey Ostrovsky, MD, Chief Executive Officer/Co-Founder, Care at Hand; Technical Expertise, Small Innovative Provider Representative
- Wanmei Ou, Director of Product Strategy in Precision Medicine, Oracle; Technical Expertise, HIT Representative
- Larry Wolf, Principal, Strategic Health Network; Technical Expertise Representative
Learn more about ONC’s Federal Advisory Committees (FACAs) on HealthIT.gov.
Other Press releases:
Imprivata – Newly appointed ONC Health IT Policy Committee member Aaron Miri talks cybersecurity, interoperability, and positive patient identification