HHS is seeking entrepreneurs to help accelerate innovation. The HHS External Fellows Program is designed to fold outside expertise and ideas into HHS’s existing process. From the HHS webiste: “Startup organizations have demonstrated that rapid iteration between various versions or features of a product can yield successful results: HHS would like to boost innovation by working with external expertise to create a culture that encourages risk taking and dynamic new models of business.”
HHS has begun excepting applications for their External Innovation Fellowships and will continue to take applications through July. Final selection of candidates will take place in August. HHS anticipates 10-15 candidates will be chosen with a duration of each fellowship expected to last 6-12 months. External Fellows will have to relocate to the site of their assigned project. You don’t have to be a U.S. citizen to apply.
Fellowship projects include:
- Accelerating clinical quality measures for the Affordable Care Act.
- Designing the infrastructure for Medicaid and CHIP eligibility
- Building “health resilience technology” to withstand natural disasters
- Electronic tracking and transport of the nation’s organ transplant system
Why apply? According to HHS “This Fellowship is an opportunity to be paired with an innovative, forward-thinking team at HHS and directly contribute to the mission of the organization. This bi-directional facilitation of innovation is an unparalleled chance to enhance the effectiveness of collaborative learning and move beyond traditional efforts in problem solving. You and your team will have the freedom to experiment, try out new ideas and concepts and contribute to the improvement of health and health outcomes for millions of Americans.”
So what does it take to be considered? Here are the basics requirements:
- Advanced degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in business development, business models, evaluating and financing companies, evaluating new ventures, technology product development or marketing, or other related areas.
- Strong analytical and research skills and a demonstrated capacity for creative thinking
- Specific entrepreneurial or start-up activity would be particularly desirable
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
You can learn more one how to submit an application here.