After four days in Orlando at the annual HIMSS conference Jim and I reflected on the event.
Takeaways and Thoughts
- Every HIMSS there is always something that is “the buzz”. The biggest thing this year was the ONC’s announcement of TEFCA.
- While the ONC sessions were all well attended and the Interoperability Showcase was talking TECFA, not so much in the vendor booths. In fact we found only a few booths that even knew what is was.
- Where were all the blockchain Apps promised 3 years ago when that was all “the buzz?” Remember the entire forum centered around it?
- Even though the attendance was half the size of pre-COVID days, vendors were for the most part happy with the engage they were getting in their booths.
- It was hard to find anything really new.
Error and Omissions
- The Daily Paper – we asked but no one knew why they didn’t greet us with one every morning. Are they gone forever?
- Political Keynote – I guess they couldn’t get 2 people from either side of the aisle to share a stage with each other.
- COVID, the pandemic, how technology will help us do better next time – Nope every one is just sick of it and there is no COVID in Florida anyway, apparently never was.
- Where were all the executives? – The booths for the majority were staffed by sales people.
- Where was “Re-imagining Health?” (see #5 in takeaways)
Has the time come for swag to go away? That said it was in full force. Here are highlights.