The numbers and facts you are about to see are all true…
As of 12/31/16
As of December 2016, more than 513,000 health care providers received payment for participating in the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. In May 2013, CMS announced that more than half of all eligible health care providers had been paid under the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. In August of 2014, HHS reported more physicians and hospitals are using EHRs than before. In December of 2014, an ONC data brief released stated financial incentives and ability to exchange clinical information found to be top reasons for EHR adoption. And in April of 2016 the ONC released a comprehensive evaluation of the Regional Extension Center (REC) program which support their efforts have made a major impact on adoption of electronic medical records.
[tweet_box design=”default” float=”none”] #EHR Incentive Programs @CMSGov reporting as of December 2016 513,000+ providers participating #meaningfuluse[/tweet_box]
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released the most recent numbers for the EHR Incentive programs. Here are some Program-to-date highlights from this latest CMS report – December.
- Active registrations of those completed totaled 610,320 breaking down with 385,064 Medicare EPs, 220,346 Medicaid EPs, and 4,910 hospitals.
- 50 States and 5 territories have open Medicaid registration. For links to states’ Medicaid EHR Incentive Program websites, see your State EHR Incentive Program Milestones and Web Resources guide.
- A total of 513,881 unique providers have been paid with breakdown of 309,067 Medicare EPs, 184,069 Medicaid EPs, 4,949 eligible hospitals, and 15,796 Medicare Advantage Organizations for EPs.
- 167,900 EPs have received a HPSA bonus payment for program years 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- 3,963 hospitals have received payments under both Medicare and Medicaid (of those, 989 were CAHs).
- A total of $35,663,068,148 has been paid out in the program to date. [tweet_dis excerpt=”To Date $35,663,068,148 has been paid out in the @CMSgov #EHR Incentive Programs”]Tweet This[/tweet_dis]
- Medicare EPs have been paid $9,210,794,075 with the majority of those, Doctors of Medicine or Osteopathy receiving $8,302,342,514.
- Medicaid EPs have been paid $5,045,062,550 with the majority of those, Physicians receiving $3,398,066,014.
- Eligible hospitals have been paid $20,942,969,351 with Medicare only $ 793,454,140, Medicaid only $451,255,156, and Medicare/Medicaid $19,698,260,055.
- Medicare Advantage Organizations For Eligible Professionals have been paid $464,242,172.
- Medicaid EHR Incentive payments began in January 2011 and Medicare EHR Incentive payments began in May 2011.
Visit the Data and Program Reports page on the CMS web site for the most up to date numbers on the EHR Incentive programs. For charting and analysis of this information, check out the Meaningful Use dataset on the HealthIT.gov Dashboard.