One Health Record (OHR) is Alabama’s vision for health information technology. Their mission is to electronically exchange health information between Alabama’s healthcare providers and as a result, improve the quality and efficiency of the healthcare received by Alabama’s citizens. The exchange of health information through the OHR system will support patient‐centered health care and continuous improvements in access, quality, outcomes and efficiency of care.
The following goals have been established:
- Ensure health information is available to health care providers at the point of care for all patients
- Reduce medical errors and avoid duplicative procedures
- Improve coordination of care between hospitals, physicians, and other health professionals
- Ultimately to provide consumers access to their own health information to encourage greater participation in their health care decisions
One Health Record is guided by the State Health Information Exchange Commission which is appointed by the Governor. It is actively partnering with state and federal government, state associations, health insurance payors, and vendors to build the state Health Information Exchange. They have deployed the Truven Health HIE Advantage system as the core backbone for the state HIE.
Medicaid patients in Alabama and most patients in Georgia who cross state lines to see medical providers will now benefit from the secure state-to-state connection established in mid-October by Alabama’s One Health Record® statewide health information exchange and Georgia Health Information Network (GaHIN), Georgia’s health information exchange.
The connection between the two states is a first for Alabama which is seeking to increase secure, real-time access to essential patient information for physicians, hospitals and other medical providers at the point of care. It is the second connection for Georgia, which previously connected to South Carolina’s HIE.
- Healthcare Providers – Physicians, Hospitals, Urgent Care and FQC, Public Health, RCOs, and RHIEs
- Get Started
- Physician Portal
- Documents – Participation, User Guides, Medicaid Plans, Commission Board, and HIPAA
Name: One Health Record
Established: Letter of Intent to ONC, 2009 Launched 2012
Provider Information: One Health Record essential forms for Providers
Contact: Contact page