Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs) for EPs and Hospitals Published
On March 7th CMS published the NPRM for the EHR Incentive Program Stage 2 in the Federal Register. It is currently in the comment period until May 7th. In the notice CMS proposes that Clinical Quality Measures (CQM) will no longer be a core objective but rather a reporting requirement on their own. CMS has now published the list of CQMs they are proposing.
The CQM priorities are:
- Making care safer by reducing harm caused in the delivery of care.
- Ensuring that each person and family are engaged as partners in their care.
- Promoting effective communication and coordination of care.
- Promoting the most effective prevention and treatment practices for the leading causes of mortality, starting with cardiovascular disease.
- Working with communities to promote wide use of best practices to enable healthy living.
- Making quality care more affordable for individuals, families, employers, and governments by developing and spreading new health care delivery models.
The Clinical Quality Measures are also categorized in six domains including; patient and family engagement, patient safety, care coordination, population and public health, efficient use of healthcare resources, and clinical processes/effectiveness. The proposal is for Eligible Professionals to report on 12 CQMs with more than one in each area. Eleven of the measures should be core and on should be menu. For Eligible Hospitals and CAHs, 24 CQMs with more than one in each area must be reported.
There are 125 CQMs for EPs and 49 CQMs for eligible hospitals. Some of the measures are still under development and some have not been endorsed by the NQF yet. This will mean the list could change even before the final rule.
Reporting of CQMs will remain the same through 2013 for EPs and hospitals as it is stated in the current rule through attestation. The current 2012 Electronic Reporting Pilots would be extended to 2013.
Public comments regarding these measures should be submitted the same and with those for the EHR Incentive Program Stage 2 NPRM.
Proposed Clinical Quality Measures for Eligible Professionals
Proposed Clinical Quality Measures for Eligible Hospitals and CAHs