As you prepare to participate in this year’s Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) would like to highlight its requirements and share the program’s 2023 specification sheets. The specification sheets provide participating eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) with a guide to the program’s measures, scoring details, and additional resources.
Participating eligible hospitals and CAHs will need to meet the following requirements for calendar year (CY) 2023 to avoid a downward Medicare payment adjustment:
- A minimum of any continuous 90 days for the electronic health record (EHR) reporting period
- A requirement (NEW!) to use the 2015 Edition Cures Update to meet the Certified EHR Technology (CEHRT) requirement
- A minimum total score of 60 points
- Report 4 eCQMs (3 self-selected eCQMs of the 11 available and the Safe Use of Opioids eCQM) using 4 quarters of data
- Complete activities for the measures under the Protect Patient Health Information objective, including the Security Risk Analysis and the annual self-assessment on all 9 SAFER guides
Scoring for CY 2023
In addition to achieving a minimum total score of 60 points, the following scoring changes will be applied for CY 2023:
- A Reduction from 40 points to 30 points for the Health Information Exchange Objective
- An Increase from 10 points to 25 points for the Public Health and Clinical Data Exchange Objective
- A Reduction from 40 points to 25 points for the Provider to Patient Exchange Objective
Each objective and measure can be found in more detail within the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program 2023 Specification Sheets (ZIP).
For More Information
For more information about the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program, visit the Promoting Interoperability website. For further information regarding CY 2023 program requirements, please visit the Program Requirements webpage.
February 28 is the Deadline to Submit Your CY 2022 Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program Information
The deadline to submit your calendar year (CY) 2022 electronic health record (EHR) data for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) is February 28, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
How to Attest
Program participants are required to attest through the CMS Hospital Quality Reporting (HQR) System (previously the QualityNet Secure Portal). Please reference the HQR User Guide for further details.
Eligible hospitals and CAHs participating in the Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program may contact the CCSQ Help Desk (previously the QualityNet Help Desk) for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-288-8912.
For More Information
For more information on the 2022 Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program requirements, please see the 2022 section of the Resource Library.