ICYMI, here is recent communication from CMS with several resources.
COVID-19 Vaccine Codes: EUA Effective Date for Janssen Biotech Inc.
On February 27, 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) for the Janssen Biotech Inc.’s COVID‑19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 for individuals 18 years of age and older. Review Janssen’s Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers Administering Vaccine (Vaccination Providers) regarding the limitations of authorized use.
During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE), Medicare will cover and pay for the administration of the vaccine (when furnished consistent with the EUA). Review our payment and HCPCS Level I CPT code structure for specific COVID-19 vaccine information. Only bill for the vaccine administration codes when you submit claims to Medicare; don’t include the vaccine product codes when the vaccines are free.
- CMS COVID-19 Provider Toolkit
- CMS COVID-19 FAQs (PDF)
- CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit for medical centers, clinics, and clinicians
- FDA COVID-19 Vaccines webpage
COVID-19 Vaccine Administration: Insurance Coverage, MBI, & MSP
CMS updated the Medicare Billing for COVID-19 Vaccine Shot Administration toolkit:
- Learn who to bill if your patients only have Medicare Part A
- Ask for your patients’ Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) to bill Original Medicare even if they’re enrolled in a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C), or use the look-up tool in your Medicare Administrative Contractor’s portal (PDF)
- Bill the correct payer by asking Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) questions and checking eligibility (PDF)
- Request payment from the Provider Relief Fund if your patients don’t have insurance coverage
COVID Vaccine Resources for Hard to Reach Patients
The COVID-19 pandemic is disproportionately affecting Medicare-Medicaid dually eligible individuals, racial and ethnic minority groups, and individuals with disabilities. You can help make sure hard to reach Medicare patients get COVID-19 vaccination information during this public health emergency.
- CMS Office of Minority Health COVID-19 Resources on Vulnerable Populations with fact sheets in multiple languages to assist organizations who work with those most vulnerable, such as older adults, those with underlying medical conditions, racial and ethnic minorities, rural communities, and people with disabilities
- CDC Communication Toolkit for migrants, refugees, and other limited-English-proficient populations
Do you know how to prevent and react to cyberattacks that could impact the health and safety of your patients? Learn how with resources from the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange (TRACIE):
- Healthcare System Cybersecurity: Readiness & Response Considerations
- Healthcare Operations Considerations webinar
- Cybersecurity Topic Collection webpage